Ask a question about SAFe – Leading SAFe® course
This 2-day course teaches the practices, terminology and Lean-Agile principles of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®). Learn how to execute and release through Agile Release Trains, build an Agile Portfolio, and lead an enterprise transformation to Agility by leveraging SAFe®. Attending this class will prepare you to take the exam and become a certified SAFe® Scaled Agilist (SA). BERTEIG is also a Registered Education Provider with the Project Management Institute.
Praise for BERTEIG
Leading SAFe® (SA) Training
Really amazing training. Very in-depth knowledge of Leading Safe 4.5.
Project Manager, November 2017
Great overview of SAFe by Jerry.
Senior Vice President , November 2017
BERTEIG is a Real Agile Transformation company, they train, coach, mentor, consult and transform Organizations. They have wide range of offering on Agile Frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, SAFe etc.). I would recommend BERTEIG to any organization for Training and consulting in Agile.”
Director of Software Development , November 2017
Jerry's teaching style and how he gradually delves deeper into each topic is very effective. The class is engaging, and the examples are realistic. I think I can apply the knowledge that I am gaining in this class right away.
Senior Project Manager Consultant , November 2017
Good insight on how and when SAFe should be used, and industry insight.
BSA, November 2017
Jerry answered all questions and really did a good job at transferring knowledge.
Scrum Master, November 2017
The course really opened up a lot of great discussions and some aha moments as it relates to existing Agile practices as we work to scale..
Attendee, September 2017
Jerry is an excellent facilitator and coach who has hands-on practical experience in large and small teams, both in highly political, highly dysfunctional, and disorganized environments, as well as working with Lean and nimble Start-ups. His experience easily contributes to half the course content because he makes it real..
Sales , September 2017
Jerry's candid training style is a breath of fresh air! Jerry clearly takes pride in his work and it shows in his training ability. I loved hearing about his experiences implementing Agile as an experienced Agile coach..
Team Member, September 2017
Jerry Doucett is the most experienced instructor that I have encountered in all of the courses I have taken... His answers to our questions were highly credible, relevant, and presented in a way that we could take back to our leadership. Jerry exceeded any and all instructor expectations that I had walking into the course.
Senior Systems Analyst, June 2017
Jerry does a great job delivering the material, providing insights and perspectives as an agilist, and sharing his experiences for context.
Agile Coach , June 2017
Jerry has provided great training and real world insight on the utilization of SAFe.
Senior Manager , June 2017
If you're trying to figure out how to scale agile teams, this course will give you the foundation how to use SAFe to scale.
Program Manager , June 2017
Great that J---- has actual real life stories, that he's a practitioner not just an instructor. But he's a great instructor too. Solid knowledge.
Program Manager , April 2017
I can vouch that there was a world of difference I felt in the training methodology at BERTEIG as compared to another US trainer I signed up with earlier. (The instructor) ensured all concepts were well articulated. The professionalism, environment, real life industry examples, interaction among the attendees, and simulation exercises all make BERTEIG's learning events an exceptionally outstanding experience for one and all...If you are serious about SAFe, go with BERTEIG, you will feel much SAFer...:)
MS, CSM, CSPO, SAFe 4.0, January 2017
The instructor was very knowledgeable about the topic and had good experience.
Scrum Master , February 2017
Fantastic introduction and overview to SAFe! (Instructor) was able to translate the information into something more easily relatable to everyday work.
Development Manager, January 2017
There was a lot of value in the discussions we had.
Agile Coach , February 2017
Well-organized course. Instructor knows his stuff especially with so much information.
Project Manager, January 2017
Good course which introduces the basic concepts of Scaled Agile and how it should be implemented in an enterprise/ bigger organization.
Project Manager, January 2017
Fast-paced and engaging course.
Project Manager, December 2016
Amazing course - I would recommend it to any team who would like to adopt Scaled Agile in their organization.
Senior Release & Configuration Analyst, December 2016
(The instructor) is very familiar with real world scenarios that have real practical application of methodology.
Applications Manager, December 2016
Well thought-out course designed to fit into the time allotted. Good real life examples and a collaborative approach to the course encouraged participation.
Scrum Master, December 2016
I was really impressed with our instructor, Jerry. He was very knowledgeable and has extensive experience in the field working in many different organizations. It was great to get his 'real-world' perspective on the topic of scaling Agile.
Scrum Master, October 2016
This course was very enlightening - it helped me realize that scaling Agile in large enterprises is possible. Sharing conversations and experiences with others in the class was also a very valuable experience.
Planning Manager , October 2016
Jerry was an amazing instructor; he was knowledgeable, patient and was very effective at translating a lot of material.
Scrum Master, October 2016
Very interactive and detailed.
BSA, August 2016
The instructor was excellent and really understood the content and its nuances.
Principal, August 2016
Great course! Learnt a lot beyond just the immediate course pak.
Senior Management Developer , December 2016
The training of Scaled Agile opens the door to a whole new world for me.
Project Manager, October 2016
If scaling is important to you, take this course.
Agile Coach, May 2016
Great course. Knowledgeable instructor who kept the attendees engaged.
Senior IT Project Manager , May 2016
Great introduction to Leading SAFe - the challenges and the benefits of the methodology - and being able to distinguish the differences between Scrum and SAFe.
Principal Pgm, August 2016
Great instructor; great materials.
Product Manager, October 2016
This course was very enlightening to learn that scaling agile in large enterprises is possible. Sharing conversations and experiences with others in the class was also very valuable.
Scrum Master , October 2016
If scaling is important to you, take this course.
Agile Coach, May 2016
Course is excellent; good material to read.
Scrum Master , May 2016
This course gave me a great grounding and knowledge, and ideas of how to communicate and share with my team.
Director, Products and Services , February 2016
It has been an excellent imparting of knowledge and (the facilitator) has been able to explain things in detail.
Promoter, February 2016
Instructor took the approach of teaching the principles of SAFe through analyzing real-life problems in an organization and explaining how SAFe approach would address them.
Agile Enablement , February 2016
Provided good understanding of SAFe Framework.
Consultant, February 2016
I recommend this course to all senior managers who are thinking of scaling Agile in their organization…The principles and structure of SAFe are valuable to all.
Agile Coach, November 2015
Excellent course. Very eye-opening. Travis is an excellent instructor who knows the material well and communicates it in a clear, engaging and entertaining way. I am looking forward to digging deeper and applying these sensible scaling practices.
Solution Architect, November 2015
Provides good framework for implementation on a high level in organization , since documenting it and having transparency is key.
Team Lead, November 2015
About the SAFe® Agilist Certification
You will not only learn the materials required to take the certified SAFe® Agilist (SA) exam but attending this class will prepare you to take the exam and become a certified SAFe® Agilist (SA).
The SAFe Agilist certification program is for executives, managers and Agile change agents responsible for leading a Lean-Agile change initiative in a large software enterprise. It validates their knowledge in applying the Scaled Agile Framework, lean thinking, and product development flow principles in an enterprise context so they can lead the adoption of the Scaled Agile Framework.
What You Get
- Attendee workbooks
- Eligibility to take the SAFe Agilist exam
- One-year membership to Scaled Agile, with access to members-only resources such as webinars, workbooks, guidance presentations, and advance notice of upcoming SAFe products
- SAFe Agilist (SA) attendance certificate upon request
By successfully completing this course you will be able to:
- Apply SAFe® to scale Lean and Agile development in your enterprise
- Support the execution of Agile Release Trains
- Coordinate large Value Streams
- Manage a Lean-Agile Portfolio
- Align the organization to a common process model
- Configure the Framework for your context
- Unlock the intrinsic motivation of knowledge workers
- Welcome & Expectations
- Introducing the Scaled Agile Framework
- Embracing a Lean-Agile Mindset
- Understanding SAFe® Principles
- Experiencing PI (Product Increment) Planning
- Exploring, Executing and Releasing Value
- Leading the Lean-Agile Enterprise
- Empowering a Lean Portfolio
- Building Large Solutions
- Certification and Exam Expectations
- Feedback Forms
About Your Instructors
Jerry Doucett Senior Consultant
Jerry Doucett is an Agile transformation advisor with over 25 years of hands-on experience in software and process development initiatives. Jerry has proudly served on numerous enterprise transformations by focusing support on four key success pillars: cultivating in-house expertise on Lean and Agile practices, defining enterprise transformation strategies, building and delivering coaching and training programs, and developing effective relationships between business and IT.
Since 2010 Jerry has been supporting Agile transformation strategies. On numerous occasions, he has served as an integral coach, mentor, advisor and team member on several enterprise transformation leadership teams including two companies with over 50,000 employees.
Jerry has developed and delivered Agile training for over 1,600 people in Canada and abroad. His tailored materials include everything from introductions to advanced topics by role and are for audiences from junior team members to senior executives at multinational corporations.
- Over 25 years in software and process development initiatives
- Over 15 years of applying project management practices
- Over 9 years assisting organizations to leverage Agile and Lean approaches
- Over 7 years assisting enterprise Agile transformations
Travis Birch Partner
Travis Birch has extensive experience in consulting, coaching and facilitation in organizational transformation and team building methods since 2008, with a focus on Agile methods. Travis has worked with executive leaders, managers, staff and other consultants to move them towards higher levels of Real Agility. This includes organizational consulting, transformational change management, culture change, overcoming resistance to change, all while focused on great business results and creating a great work environment.
Travis has aided numerous teams to help them get through the four stages of team development to reach a high-performance level. One team improved so much that it went from being shunned by stakeholders to winning a government-wide award for project delivery excellence.
Prior to consulting, Travis was involved in numerous community development and volunteer efforts while working as a professional ballet performer. Travis is highly committed to helping transform people, process and culture in organizations. Travis brings patience, integrity and sensitivity to others as personal qualities to his work with organizations.
Travis is a regular contributor to the widely-read blog, Agile Advice.
Certified Scrum Professional, Accredited Kanban Trainer, and a certified SAFe Program Consultant.
- Over 16 years experience in community and organizational development
- Over 8 years experience assisting organizations to achieve the benefits of Agile
- Over 6 years experience with large-scale Agile adoptions
All attendees receive as many decks of Estimation Cards as they want! You’re guaranteed at least 1 deck but the instructor often brings extra. Each deck includes four sets, therefore most Scrum teams need 2 or 3 decks. If you know you would like extra decks, please let us know before the training starts to ensure we bring enough.
All attendees receive a free electronic copy of Mishkin Berteig’s book “Agile Advice”. This book is a collection of the best articles from the AgileAdvice blog with additional commentary, updates, and three exclusive articles written just for the book.
All attendees also receive a complimentary spiral-bound notebook with lined paper and zipper pocket to take notes during the class and to record your Agile learning journey beyond the classroom.
- Q: Prices are in what currency?
- A: Canadian dollars.
- Q: What methods of payment do you accept?
- A: Visa, Mastercard and American Express. We do not invoice for training. Under special circumstances we can also accept wire transfers, personal cheques, cash, PayPal and purchase orders. Please contact email@example.com for special payment arrangements.
- Q: I need to cancel my place due to… what do I do about it?
- A: If your request to cancel is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you will be issued a refund and your spot will be made available for someone else. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number you wish to have refunded. Within ten (10) business days, no refund is possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in a future class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply). In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact email@example.com as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: I need to change the course date I am registered for due to… what do I do about it?
- A: As with cancellation, if your request to change dates is made ten (10) business days prior to the Learning Event, then you can be moved. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, current course date and requested new course date.Within ten (10) business days, no changes are possible for any reason, but we will offer you a spot in another class at 50% of the normal list price (no other discounts will apply). In the rare case of family or medical emergencies, please contact us as soon as you can and we will work with you to find a suitable solution.
- Q: Can I send someone else in my place?
- A: Yes. You are welcome to change the registration information for a spot at a Learning Event at any time. Please contact email@example.com with the details including your own registration information and the full name, email address and phone number of the person who will attend in your place. There is no charge for such a change.
- Q: I found “the same” course for less… will you give me a discount?
- A: No. You have registered for a premier learning event, not a clone of some other course.
- Q: Do you ever offer discounts?
- A: Yes. Everyone who attends one of our Learning Event is given a discount code to use on other courses or to pass along to coworkers, associates, family and friends. Also, if you belong to an organization that sends more than 5 people to our training courses, you may be eligible for our Loyalty Program. The more people attending our training, the higher the discount available. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- Also, we offer “Early Bird” discounts on some Learning Events. We encourage you to register early to take advantage of this offer.
- Q: What if I register, then later discover a Loyalty Program discount was applicable. Can I get the discount applied retroactively?
- A: Yes, you can. Please contact email@example.com with your order number for which you would like the discount applied and your Loyalty Program coupon code.
- Q: Is your training tax deductible and can I get a T2202A slip?
- A: No, our training is not eligible for tax deductions. We do not give T2202A slips. T2202A slips are usually issued from Post Secondary Education Institutions like a college or university. We are not such an institution. Purchasing our training is more like purchasing a book or a ticket to an event.
- Q: How do I get ScrumMaster Certification (CSM)?
- A: The Scrum Alliance organizes this certification. Full details can be found at http://www.scrumalliance.org/pages/CSM. We offer the training component of the Certified ScrumMaster program in both our public Learning Events as well as an option for in-house Learning Events.
- Q: What is included in the ScrumMaster Certification (CSM)?
- A: The Certified ScrumMaster training that we offer includes all the materials that are needed to complete the training part of the certification (part 1/2). There is no extra fee for the online test (part 2/2), it is included in your registration with us. Once you have completed the training, you will receive an email within 1 week to complete the remaining step to get your certification. Full instructions will be provided in class, but don’t worry, the test is easy! If you want to study, please consider reading the Scrum Guide.
- Q: How do I get Product Owner Certification (CSPO)?
- A: The Scrum Alliance organizes this certification. Full details can be found at http://www.scrumalliance.org/pages/certified_scrum_product_owner. We offer the training component of the Certified Scrum Product Owner program in our public Learning Events. Currently, there is no test component to this certification.
- Q: How do I get SAFe® Scaled Agilist Certification (SA – from Scaled Agile)?
- A: The Scaled Agile organization coordinates this certification. BERTEIG is a Silver Partner and we are licensed to offer the training component (called ‘Leading SAFe®‘) in both our public Learning Events as well as an option for in-house Learning Events. Full details can be found at Leading SAFe®.
- Q: How do I get Team Member Certification (OATM)?
- A: The OpenAgile Learning Center organizes this certification. Full details can be found at http://www.openagile.com/TeamMember. We offer the training component of the OpenAgile Team Member program in both our public Learning Events and as an option for in-house Learning Events.
- Q: How do I get Agile Project Manager Certification (PMI-ACP)?
- A: The Project Management Institute organizes this certification. Full details can be found at http://www.pmi.org/en/Certification/New-PMI-Agile-Certification.aspx. We offer the training component of this certification either through a combination of two two-day courses or through a single three-day course. This is also available in-house.
- Q: How do I get Kanban Certification?
- A: The Lean Kanban University organizes this certification. Full details can be found at http://edu.leankanban.com/. We offer the training component of this certification. This is also available in-house.
- Q: I would like to get my PMI PDUs for CSM or CSPO. How do I do this?
- A: Berteig Consulting is a registered education provider (REP) for the CSM and CSPO training courses, please visit the PMI CCRS website where you can choose BERTEIG as the REP and collect the appropriate PDUs: Category A PDUs.
- Q: I would like to get my PMI PDUs for other BERTEIG Agile training (not CSM or CSPO). How do I do this?
- A: If you have completed a Learning Event with us that has appropriate content, you should have received a letter of attendance at the end of the event or in your participant’s folder. Please contact your instructor if you failed to obtain a letter confirming your attendance. You will then need to retain this letter for the PMI in case you are audited. Obtaining the PDUs is your responsibility after we have issued the letter to you. Here is a brief reference on this topic: Category B PDUs.
- Q: What if I’m shy and don’t like interacting with people?
- A: Our Learning Events are highly interactive… and we make them safe and comfortable for even the most shy people! Our facilitators are experts in creating an environment where everyone is encouraged to participate without forcing you to do things or say things that might be uncomfortable. This is not like school. This is not like a university lecture. This is not like a high-pressure business meeting.
- Q: What if I’m just coming to get a certification?
- A: Okay! We know lots of people who have come to our Learning Events in the past, walked out with a valuable certification, and told us in no uncertain terms that it was the best “course” they had ever attended, they learned far more than they expected, and they are excited to apply what they have learned as soon as possible. But sure, you can attend just for the certification!
- Q: What do I need to bring with me?
- A: For most learning events you do not need to bring anything. During the Learning Event session, you will be asked to keep electronic devices out of the learning environment. You are welcome to bring your own notebook for note-taking but we provide materials for this as well. Check the description of your Learning Event to see if there are any special requirements.
- Q: Do you provide food?
- A: We normally provide coffee, tea, and light snacks in the morning and afternoon of a Learning Event. Lunch is not usually provided.
- Q: Why don’t you provide printed books of your slides?
- A: First of all, we usually don’t have many slides (if any!) in most of our Learning Events – instead we have a moderate number of handouts. The only exceptions are typically the SAFe training classes where we are a delivery partner and the materials come directly from Scaled Agile – in those classes there are typically a lot of slides and printed books. Secondly, printing heavy books uses a lot of paper and energy for something that most people don’t ever refer back to after their “course” is finished. Third, you will learn better by taking your own notes (and we provide a simple structured way to do this)!
- For our own classes (not the Scaled Agile classes), handouts will be provided in electronic form following the class via file sharing system.
- Q: When does my Learning Event start and finish?
- A: Normally our Learning Events start at 8:30 sharp and end by 5:00pm. Some Learning Events may have other schedules. Please read the page about your particular Learning Event to know exactly what time it starts and ends.
- Q: Do you offer your Learning Events as private in-house sessions?
- A: Yes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to receive a quote. Typically in-house sessions are scheduled six or more weeks after a contract has been signed – please ask for a quote as soon as possible if you think your need is urgent! We can also create custom Learning Events for an additional fee. We even do train-the-trainer programs for larger organizations who wish to leverage in-house staff. Generally, we avoid doing the CSM and CSPO Learning Events in-house and encourage you to come with your group to a public session.
- Q: What if I have an emergency and have to leave for some/part/most of the class?
- A: Depends on the emergency. If it is a medical emergency for yourself or a family member, we will work with you to either re-schedule or refund your money depending on circumstances. We don’t have a fixed policy about this. For work related emergencies, we will not issue a refund, but will offer a spot to you at a future course at a 50% discount rate.
- Q: Does BERTEIG partner with others to advertise and deliver training?
- A: Yes. We partner with training resellers who can reach different people than we can. If you have a question about our resellers or if you are interested in establishing a partnership relationship please contact email@example.com.
- Q: I am a trainer myself. Can I list my courses on this website?
- A: No. This is one type of partnership that we are considering but have not yet established. If you are interested in this type of partnership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.